|Alberobello: World Heritage - U.N.E.S.C.O.|
|It is situated on a rilief (m.428;quite 10.000 inhabitants) in a hilly land, on the
slopes of a subsidence, caused by an old waterway, the shapes of its agricultural landscape represents
a syntesis of the historic events which have marked the land.
The wood, with the presence of the rare Qurcus Troiana, is still today a basic element of the landscape, together with green pastures, bushes, sown grounds, vineyards and almond and and olive-groves. The calcarous stratified rocks supply the building material which caracterizes the trulli-roof: the so-called 'chiancarelle'.
The foundation of Alberobello dates back to the end of the fifteenth century. At all time it was a woody land and in 1481 it became a feud under the Acquaviva Counts of Conversano: they actracted poor farmers in their estates by means of immunity and munificence. These peasants often escaped from their native places, as theywere wanted or in debt. The Counts obliged the farmers to build drystone houses, in order to avoid the Spanish King's control and taxes.
In fact, the 'Prammatica de Baronibus' forbade the construction of new aggomerations without the consent of the Royal Chamber. The village became bigger and bigger in particular in the XVIII century under Giangirolamo II.
Therefore, in 1640 the neighbouring feudal lords accused the Count the Napolitan Court; in order to avoid penÓlties, Giangirolamo II let the trulli be destroied. Acquaviva's tyrannical rule went on till 1797, when 7 delegates of the village presented the King Ferdinand IV Borbone a petition asking for indipendence. On may 27th 1797 the King declared Alberobello Royal town.